COLLEGE STATION INDEPENDENT SCHOOL DISTRICT
REGULAR BOARD MEETING
May 20, 2014 at 7:00 p.m.
Grace Bible Church – Southwood Campus
A. CALL TO ORDER
President Valerie Jochen called the meeting to order at 7:00 p.m. and declared a quorum was present with seven members present.
B. DECLARATION OF QUORUM/WELCOME
In attendance were President Valerie Jochen, Vice President Paul Dorsett, Secretary Jeff Harris and Trustees Kimberly McAdams, Carol Barrett, Michael Wesson and Quinn Williams,
C-1. Pledge of Allegiance to the American Flag and the Texas Flag, and a Moment of Silence
Superintendent Eddie Coulson recognized high school students. The students led the audience in the pledges and the moment of silence.
a. Auxiliary Employee of the Year
Deputy Superintendent Glynn Walker recognized Auxiliary Employee of the Year nominees:
1. Sid Burns, Building Maintenance - Operations, nominated by AMC High School
2. Jesus Barrios, Custodial Services-Operations, nominated by College Station Middle School
3. Elsa Deluna, Custodial Services-Operations, nominated by Oakwood Intermediate School
4. Pete Hernandez - Custodial Services-Operations, nominated by Cypress Grove Intermediate School
5. Elizabeth Fonseca - Child Nutrition Services, nominated by Pebble Creek Elementary School
6. Robert Taylor - District wide Warehouse, nominated by the Purchasing Department
Deputy Superintendent Glynn Walker announced the 2014 College Station ISD Auxiliary Employee of the Year…
Elizabeth Fonseca - Child Nutrition Services, nominated by Pebble Creek Elementary School
b. Paraprofessional Employee of the Year
Deputy Superintendent Glynn Walker recognized Paraprofessional Employee of the Year nominees:
1. Mary Neal, nominated by AMC High School
2. Beth Hoover, nominated by AMC High School
3. Kristen Taylor, nominated by Timber Academy
4. Victoria Hester, nominated by CS High School
5. Joanna Todaro, nominated by AMC Middle School
6. Mollie Binion, nominated by CS MIddle School
7. Linda Clark, nominated by Oakwood Intermediate School
8. Rene Clouston, nominated by Cypress Grove Intermediate School
9. Cheryl Wendler, nominated by South Knoll Elementary School
10. Matt Fleener, nominated by College Hills Elementary School
11. Nancy Linger, nominated by Southwood Valley Elementary School
12. Jenny Martinez, Rock Prairie Elementary School
13. Harmonie Thomas, nominated by Pebble Creek Elementary School
14. Sandy Smith, nominated by Forest Ridge Elementary School
15. Ross Satterwhite, nominated by Creek View Elementary School
16. Deanne Huebner, nominated by Greens Prairie Elementary School
Mr. Walker announced the 2014 Paraprofessional Employee of the Year is Cheryl Wendler, nominated by South Knoll.
<![if !supportLists]>a. <![endif]>Elementary Teacher of the Year
1. Karen Romero, College HIlls Elementary
2. Greta Gammill, South Knoll Elementary
3. Janda Moore, Southwood Valley Elementary
4. Kelly McGrath, Rock Prairie Elementary
5. Stephanie Rhodes, Pebble Creek Elementary
6. Jeanette Mitchell, Forest Ridge Elementary
7. Jeannie Carter, Creek View Elementary
8. David Cain, Greens Prairie Elementary
9. David Childers, Cypress Grove Intermediate
Deputy Superintendent Glynn Walker recognized the 2014 Elementary Teacher of the Year Nominees:
Mr. Glynn Walker recognized the 2013 Elementary Teacher of the Year, Alyssa Johnson, Forest Ridge Elementary, to announce this year’s winner.
The 2014 College Station Teacher of the year is David Cain, Greens Prairie Elementary.
b. Secondary Teacher of the Year
Deputy Superintendent Glynn Walker recognized the 2014 Secondary Teacher of the Year Nominees:
1. Matt Young, AMC High School
2. Stefano Salermo, AMC High School
3. Ann Rife, Timber Academy
4. Peggy Cryan, CS High School
5. Britina Robinson-Pesak,CS High School
6. Meredith McGrath, AMC Middle School
7. Beth Bland, CS Middle School
8. Sandra Ashcraft, Oakwood Intermediate
Mr. Glynn Walker recognized the 2014 Secondary Teacher Tiffany Rutherford, CS High School, to announce this year’s winner:
The 2014 CSISD Secondary Teacher of the Year is Beth Bland, CS Middle School.
Deputy Superintendent Glynn Walker recognized CSISD Retirees:
1. Cindy Balmain, Oakwood Intermediate School
2. Karen Brown, AMC High School
3. David Cain, Greens Prairie Elementary School
4. Eddie Coulson, Superintendent
5. Sheryl Dettling, College Hills Elementary School
6. Linda Downey, Pebble Creek Elementary School
7. Jayanthi Gaspar, Pebble Creek Elementary School
8. Tami Laza, Creek View Elementary School
9. Sandra Lewellen, Cypress Grove Intermediate School
10. Sara McKnight, South Knoll Elementary School
11. Ann McMullin, Greens Prairie Elementary School
12. Carolyn Morley, AMC High School
13. Jane Rankin, College Hills Elementary School
14. Ruth Roth, South Knoll Elementary School
15. Joy Sechelski, AMC Middle School
16. Andrea Siebert, College Hills Elementary School
17. Cathy Stearns, Creek View Elementary School
18. Phyllis Mackenzie, Pebble Creek Elementary School
19. Evelyn Wells, College Hills Elementary School
20. Juan Delagado, Custodial Services
21. Jose Rivera, Custodial Services
The Board took a 10-minute break at 7:45 p.m. for photos and cake. The Board reconvened at 8:00 p.m.
D-1. Board Directions and Reports/Announcements/Superintendent Reports and Announcements
Superintendent Eddie Coulson reported that A&M Consolidated High School’s graduation is scheduled for 5/30/14 at 7:00 p.m. in Reed Arena. Timber Academy graduation is scheduled for 5/29/13 at 7:00 p.m. at Christ United Methodist Church.
E. HEARING OF CITIZENS
F. CONSENT AGENDA
Agenda Item D – BOARD: Agenda Item D-1: Consideration, discussion and possible action related to updating the Affiliation Agreement between College Station Independent School District and the CSISD Education Foundation: G – APPROVAL OF MINUTES – April 15, 2014 Workshop minutes, April 15, 2014 Regular Board Meeting Minutes; Agenda Item H – CURRICULUM AND INSTRUCTION: Agenda Item H-1: Consideration, discussion and possible action related to Policy Update 99: Agenda Item H-2: Consideration, discussion, and possible action related to FMG Local; Agenda Item H-3: Consideration, discussion and possible action related to Region VI Shared Services Agreements; J –BUSINESS: Agenda Item J-2: Consider approval of purchase of Paging Intercom, Bell and Clock Systems from Firetron, Inc. in the amount of $1,385,772.61 from 2013 bond funds; Agenda Item J-3: Consider approval of Request for Qualifications for Construction Materials Testing Services authorizing the Superintendent or his designee to negotiate and execute a contract with Gessner Engineering, Terracon Consultants and CME Testing and Engineering to provide materials testing services for specific construction projects in the 2013 bond program; Agenda Item J-4: Consider approval of Request for Qualifications for Testing and Air Balance Services, authorizing the Superintendent or his designee to negotiate and execute a contract the Engineering Air Balance Co., Specialty Engineering Inc. and Campus Engineering to provide testing and air balance engineering services for specific construction projects in the 2013 bond program; Agenda Item J-5: Consider approval of purchase of IPad mini tablets from Apple Inc. of the amount of $354,330.00 from 2013 Bond Funds; Agenda Item J-6: Consider approval of quote for new serving line counters and equipment at the AMCHS Cafeteria from Pasco Brokerage, Inc for $292,725.00 paid from CSISD Child Nutrition operating funds; Agenda Item J-7: Consider approval of RFP# 14-009 for purchase of Athletic Supplies, Equipment, and apparel and fifty-eight (58) vendors; Agenda Item J-8: Consider approval of RFP#14-001 for purchase Athletic Trainer Supplies to seven (7) vendors effective June 1, 2014 through May 31m, 2015 renewable for one (1) additional year; Agenda Item J-9: Consider approval pf purchase of K-5 Math and Science Instructional Materials from Houghton Miffin Harcourt for $333,989.78 from Instructional Materials Allotment funds; Agenda Item J-10: Consider approval of monthly Head Start financial statements and credit card expenditures; Agenda Item J-11: Consider approval of Monthly Budget Amendments; Agenda Item J-12: Consider approval of Monthly Financial Reports; K – ADMINISTRATIVE SERVICES: Agenda Item K-1: Consideration, discussion and possible action regarding paid meal prices for the 2014-2015 school year
MOTION 4492: I move approval of the consent agenda as presented. The motion was made by Secretary Jeff Harris and seconded by Trustee Michael Wesson. The motion passed with seven ayes and zero nos.
H. CURRICULUM AND INSTRUCTION
H-1. Consideration and possible action concerning threatened litigation and possible settlement of Student v. College Station Independent School District, Before a Special Education Mediator for the State of Texas; Docket No. 065-DM-0413
This agenda item will be delayed to another meeting.
I-1. Discussion in closed session related to possible personnel moves for the 2013-2014 school year
Will discuss in Executive Session
J. BUSINESS SERVICES
J-1. Consider approval of purchase of CATE Computers from Avinext for the amount of $114,500 from 2013 Bond Funds
Superintendent Eddie Coulson recognized Deputy Superintendent Glynn Walker who reviewed the Request for Quote to Avinext for computers.
Secretary Jeff Harris abstained.
MOTION 4493: I move approval of the request for the purchase of CATE Computers from Avinext for the amount of $114,500 from 2013 Bond Funds, as presented. The motion was made by Vice President Paul Dorsett and seconded by Trustee Kimberly McAdams. The motion passed with six ayes, one abstention (Secretary Jeff Harris abstained) and zero nos.
L. EXECUTIVE SESSION
L-1. The Board will meet in executive session to discuss the Safety Audit. The executive session deliberations will be held pursuant to the "Deliberation Regarding Security Devices or Security Audits; Closed Meeting" exception to the Texas Open Meetings Act as set forth in Section 551.076 of the Texas Government Code.
L-2. The Board will meet in Executive Session to discuss Personnel Matters: Closed Meeting. (a) This chapter does not require a governmental body to conduct an open meeting: (1) to deliberate the appointment, employment, evaluation, reassignment, duties, discipline, or dismissal of a public officer or employee; or (2) hear a complaint or charge against an officer or employee. (b) Subsection (a) does not apply if the officer or employee who is the subject of the deliberation or hearing requests a public hearing. Added by Acts 1993, 73rd Leg., ch. 268, 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1993.
The Board moved into executive session at 8:06 p.m.
N. OPEN SESSION
Without objection, President Valerie Jochen adjourned the meeting at 8:45.p.m.